Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Writing is therapeutic


I’ve been thinking about voice – again, and what makes my work different from the zillions of other mystery books that have been – are being – written? It comes down to voice. Only I have “my” thoughts, “my” feelings, “my” take on life. And that’s how An Unexpected Death, my first Caitlyn Jamison mystery came about. It wasn’t because I wanted to be a writer!  It was because I was upset and frustrated with what was happening in our country. I needed to express myself. But how?

Writing is therapeutic became my mantra. It helps us make sense of situations. And that’s how the story began. What was discovered after the fact was through the writing process my voice appeared. I was able to share my thoughts and feelings through my characters. And readers, I subsequently learned, love the characters.

Writer Meg Rosoff states, “…In our voice, your readers should be able to hear the contents of your mind, your heart, your soul.” That is each writer’s challenge. Be true to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment