Sunday, November 19, 2017

NaNoWriMo – So How’s it Going?


I would answer that question with “good!” Though I would have to clarify –does it mean I am keeping up with the 1,167 words a day, or has the story progressed as I would like? Then the answer is no and yes.

The word count progressed well until about mid-month. It was at that time I realized this isn’t how I write. I can’t just throw words down to meet a daily number. I was getting lost in the story, and as the characters developed, they, too, didn’t like the way things were going.

At that point I decided my NaNoWriMo goal would be 25,000 (instead of 50,000). I was sure I could meet that. Over the last couple of days I rewrote Chapter One. Moved what was Chapter One to the end of the document with the hope I can salvage some of it later. I tweaked the next few chapters for better flow and moved chapters around. I now have a document that flows much better and I can move forward.

And, I wrote the last two chapters. That will help to keep me headed in the right direction.

Although I can’t write in the traditional NaNoWriMo style, I do appreciate their mission to get writers to write and/or work on their writing every day. That is a great habit to form.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering how NaNoWriMo was going for you. Break-neck speed is supposed to encourage writers to write, without editing along the way, just let the words flow and edit later. But I agree with you: Meeting an admittedly arbitrary daily word target isn't the only way to make progress. I like that you're adapting the program to your needs and preferences! Characters need time to make their voices heard.

    ReplyDelete