Thursday, December 10, 2015

Where am I going with this?


Ah, the vicissitudes of writing. I wrote a great first chapter. Character and setting descriptions were good. My writing group thought it was great. I’m on my way. Or am I?

I’m stuck. That great beginning wasn’t a springboard to the rest of the story. The character I had killed off hadn’t been developed. He needed to be.

There was no segue into the plot line, and my protagonist wasn’t going to show up until several chapters in – not good writing/planning.

During my 5:00 a.m. coffee time, gazing at our Christmas tree, I ruminated about this problem. My helpful muse (a spirit that inspires) finally appeared and a new plan developed.  I quickly grabbed by writing notebook and jotted down ideas. My original first chapter will be saved and used later in the story. But I came up with a new first chapter that segues into the plot line, and I am now on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment