Saturday, October 10, 2026
The Big Question
On Saturday, October 3, 2026, I hosted my first Zoom meeting. As secretary of the Manatee Genealogical Society, I volunteered to start a Beginning Genealogy SIG (Special Interest Group) to help those interested in learning more about their family history. I drafted a step-by-step presentation to help new family historians get started without overwhelming them. Since this is a three-month trial to evaluate interest, I had also prepared November’s presentation.
So, what does this have to do with writing?
The Big Question family historians have to ask each time they start a search is: What do I want to know? We have to be specific, i.e., where was my grandfather born? Writers also have to ask the Big Question: What is this story about? This question catches me every time. When I start a book, I develop the characters and figure out plot lines. I’m excited to be with my characters. I’m off and running. Each day I’m anxious to get through the to-do list so I can be with my “people.”
But then, as the story develops, I start to get lost as to where the story should go. It is then that the light bulb goes off. I have not asked the Big Question. What is THIS story about?
The Beginners SIG was a needed reminder for me to ask my current project, Uncharted Drift – What is this story about? I am at the deciding phase now, so stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment